From The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (2002 Statistics)
Rhinoplasty Surgery-Specific Statistics:
- Number of rhinoplasty procedures performed by ASPS surgeons in 2002: 354,327. This is a 4% drop from the previous year.
- Age Distribution:
- Age 18 and Younger: 40,696rhinoplasty surgeries (11%).
- Ages 19 to 50: 123,316 rhinoplasty surgeries (29%).
- Ages 51 to 65+: 54,244 rhinoplasty surgeries (15%).
- The average fee received by ASPS surgeons for rhinoplasty was $3,469. All members in total charged $1,229,209,635 for rhinoplasty in 2001.
* These fees are averages only and do not include anesthesia, operating room facilities, or other medical expenses.
- Gender: 59% of rhinoplasty patients were female, while 41% were male.
General Cosmetic Surgery Statistics:
- 37% of all cosmetic surgery patients were repeat patients.
- 32% of all cosmetic surgery patients had multiple procedures at the same time.
- Where the surgery was performed: 50% of all cosmetic surgery procedures were performed in the surgeon’s office, 32% in a hospital, and 17% in free-standing ambulatory surgical facilities.
- Caucasian: 84%
- Hispanic: 6%
- African-American: 3%
- Asian-American: 7%
- Other: 1%
- The number of people having cosmetic plastic surgery by ASPS members has tripled since 1992.
- There was a 7% increase in people having procedures by ASPS members between 2000 and 2001.
To view ASPS Surgery Statistics in detail, click here to view an Adobe Acrobat file.
From the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (2002 Statistics)
- Nearly 6.9 million cosmetic surgery procedures performed by ASAPS surgeons in 2002.
- From 1997 to 2002, there was a 228% increase in cosmetic procedures performed by ASAPS members.
- The top five procedures in 2002 were: lipoplasty (liposuction), 372,831 (up 111% since 1997); breast augmentation, 249,641 (up 147% since 1997); eyelid surgery, 229,092 (up 44% since 1997); rhinoplasty (nose reshaping), 156,973 (up 15% since 1997); and breast reduction, 125,614, (up 162% since 1997).
- ASAPS surgeons performed 156,973 nose reshaping surgeries in 2002.
- Average surgeon fees received (excluding surgical facility, anesthesia, and other fees): $3,751.
- ASAPS surgeons generated $578,649,591 in rhinoplasty fees in 2002.
To view ASAPS Surgery Statistics in detail, click here to view an Adobe Acrobat file.
From The International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (2001 Statistics)
- The USA is first place in the world by number of procedures (21% of the world’s plastic surgery) performed by ISAPS members. Brazil is second (14%) and Mexico third (8%). The UK, which was third in 2000, did not have any replies in 2001.
- Internationally 62.86% of aesthetic surgery patients are between 21 and 50 years old. Russia has the highest percentage of teenage patients (20 years old and younger) with 40%, followed by Mexico (32.42%) and Chile the lowest with 4.67%. Japan has the highest percentage of older patients (51 years old and older) with 33.28% and Jordan the lowest with 9.25%.
- Females are 87.35% of the international aesthetic plastic surgery patients and male patients 12.65%. In Finland, Japan and Korea more than 25% of the patients are male.
- Lipoplasty is still the #1 surgical procedure overall, followed by breast augmentation and blepharoplasty.
- Collagen Injection was the #1 procedure for women, followed by lipoplasty and breast augmentation.
- Scar revision was the #1 procedure for men, followed by rhinoplasty and lipoplasty.
*ISAPS has extrapolated to produce these statistics.